WorkInProgress New Map For Mcstrike: The Petra Map

Discussion in 'Map Submissions' started by Shwarma Nuggets, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Shwarma Nuggets

Shwarma Nuggets
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Minecraft:
    Shwarma
    hey! i like your server very much and made a map for there. the map is called Petra from the Petra temple and canyon in Jordan. [​IMG] https://imgur.com/a/gohsdqS.

#1 Shwarma Nuggets, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. SwatDoge

SwatDoge
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +135 / 30
    Minecraft:
    SwatDoge
    Hello,

I must say, the concept of this map is nice, and I really like the acacia wood/red sandstone mixture.

However, this map does not fit some of the basic map requirements you can find here;

1. You made your theme very clear with this map, its based on the Petra temple. However, Why the volcano? Why the construction vehicles? Why the random farm? Why this random box in the middle of a red desert? See it like this, let say I make a map themed around a railway station in Benin, and for no reason I'd flood it and say it was a tsunami, it wouldn't make sense. either have a map themed around stuff like this, or dont have it in your map at all.

2. The map does not have a lane system, its just kind of go everywhere. (or atleast, what I can see from the screenshots, as you didn't add a map layout for us.) You have a lot of highground on the map which could easily be abused by spawnkillers. You also show there is a hidden road going thru the water, however, water heavily restricts movement, which makes this route unideal for flaking. Water pretty much ruins the flow of the map (pun intended).

3. The depth in your map is either not there or there is way too much. in the first 2 screenshots, slabs, blocks, and stairs are all over the place, which will make it hard to walk at those points. In screenshot 4 and 6 however, there is a weird sudden lack of depth. You'd expect a lot of rubble in a construction area and in an old temple, yet, it looks like the floors got entirely vacuum cleaned.

4. You don't have a "skybox" (or how I like to call it, the out of map area). You just placed a few mountains around the map, and thats it. This makes the map feel like a forced arena, rather than a red sand desert. Making the out of the map area can sometimes take longer than making the map itself.

5. No map layout is shown, you don't tell us how its meant to be played and you didn't specify where players spawn. This is required in order to understand what the map is about.

Outside of the requirements, you can easily tell barely any time and effort was put in the map, and the same goes for this thread. As a map maker myself, I see a lot of flaws with the way this map was created, here is some of my critique;
    • Lack of detail in props. (For instance, the volcano and the construction vehicles).
    • Overusage of worldedit.
    • Lack of color variation in blocks.
    • No variation in vegetation, and the weird placements of it.
    • Lack of cover on the map.
    • No ways to get up the hills easily, thus trapping players on the low ground.
    • Lack of buildings for close quarter combat.
    • No overall logic in the map. (probably didn't plan the map out.)
    • Weird block combinations, like using sealanterns in a desert. You'd be better of using torches.
    • Way too much water is used.

My second issue isn't necessarily the map, its the way you behave. You've shown that you don't put any interest in making a quality map, which is simply disrespectful towards all the other people who spend weeks or months on making a map.
    • Made the map within a few hours.
    • Screenshots give us absolutely zero information about the map. We can't do anything with a photo of a rock or a waterfall, we want to see the actual map, the corridoors, the lanes, the insides of buildings. You also left in rubish from your building, which shows you didn't even check your screenshots before you submitted them. https://imgur.com/zegHglM.
    • Did not read the map requirements forum thread.
    • Used so much worldedit, that you might aswell credit Code Warrior (the maker of W/E) for making your map.
    • Made a post within a few seconds, without giving ANY practical info about your map.

To sum it up, you really need to work on doing research before you do something. It's amazing that you want to make a map for the server, but it doesn't mean much when you don't take it seriously. If you don't put effort into your map, staff probably wont put effort into reviewing it.

Anyways, thanks for the submission, keep it up. :]

- SwatDoge

#2 SwatDoge, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Shwarma Nuggets

Shwarma Nuggets
    Expand Collapse

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Minecraft:
    Shwarma
    hey, 1: i stared with a clear petra theme but people sayed that its an ugly and boring theme, so i added a little ditail. the farm is belongs to the mine. the mean people from the mine destory the poor villager farm to expand theyre mine. it adds a little color.
    2: i can move the tunnel entrance elsewhere.
    ill fix all the other things

4. ELgamer

ELgamer
    Expand Collapse
    Supporter

Ratings:
    +79 / 11
    Minecraft:
    ELgamerYT
    Shwarma and I have started a complete recreation of the original map. The new version will be using a similar layout but with updated scenery. We are going to keep the main theme "Petra" (A famous archaeological site in Jordan's southwestern desert), however due to the theme only using a small range of colours we have decided to add a wider variety of blocks which can be less realistic. As a secondary theme we have a mining area on one side of the map, this will be more split-off and not interfere with the main theme. We are also still thinking of other ideas which will fit with the design and complement it with more diversity.

There will hopefully be a visual update Soon™.

Have a good day,

ELgamer